Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I am not Timorese

Apart from all the other changes that have been wrought on Dili over the past months, one that reflects the depth of the problems is the use of flags by foreign nationals both on their cars and homes. My colleague has the German flag on her front door as well as on the gate to the compound she lives in. My hairdresser has the Philippines flag on the door to her small salon opposite the Australian Embassy. None of this existed back in May. I feel this is a manifestation of the deep divisions now evident within Timorese society.
Should we put up an Australian flag on our home in Raikotu? I would find this very difficult to do as my well known contempt of nationalism and nationalists would forbid me to take any such action. Thus, we remain ostensibly part of the community in which we live.




Category: Timor-Leste (East Timor)

Português/Portuguese Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

0 Comments:

Post a Comment