Wednesday, February 22, 2006

My day

Mr “Bibi Malae” had yet again, wrapped himself round and round a shrub so before making my way down our dirt road to the “estrada boot” (or big road which we have just discovered has a name: Saint John Paul II) I had to untie him. He seemed most grateful.

On the “mikrolet” journey this morning to work, a young boy of about 7 or 8 got on along with his mother and infant sister. I was most intrigued by his shoes (most children in Timor go barefoot): a black and fluorescent green pair of canvas sandshoes with the tongues turned back and secured with a single rubber band. Wow I thought, not being able to afford shoes laces, now that’s poverty!

Daniel and I ate “han-meiudia” (lunch) together at our favourite Indonesian/Timorese restaurant. I had the ubiquitous “etu” (cooked (white) rice), stir-fried green “modo” (vegetables) of various persuasions, “fore” (beans), “senoura” (carrots), tempeh, “tahu” (tofu) and a “mantolun sona” (fried egg). The vegetables were a bit salty but that’s okay as I’m constantly losing it through perspiration. I “hemu” (drank) a “sabraka” (orange) concentrate with “bee” (water), “jelu” (ice) and “masin-midar” sugar.

One of the owners of the restaurant has a seven-month old son (born 21 July 2005) who is just gorgeous. Every time I smile at him, his whole face lights up as he returns the gesture. Today, I was allowed to hold him in my lap and he didn’t disappoint. He is one of the most “sente kontente” (feel happy) babies I have seen in Timor (most Timorese babies are “tauk” (scared) of me the “malae” and start crying!)

Category: Timor-Leste (East Timor)

Português/Portuguese Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

0 Comments:

Post a Comment