Friday, August 25, 2006

The Wretched of the Earth

I've just finished reading Frantz Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth. Although written during the Algerian war for independence during the 1950s, I thought I was reading about Timor. Could it be that all post-conflict/colonial countries are doomed to the same fate as Algeria? In Timor's case, I certainly hope not but I'm beginning to think that I'm hopelessly naive. Is it because I just happen to be born in a Western country which during my lifetime has not experienced any serious social and political unrest?
As there is very little easily accessible literature available out there on the roots of Timor's current crisis (one cannot rely on the media, particularly Australia's), I implore those with an interest in Timor to read Fanon's classic book. As you read, just replace Algeria with Timor, and think of the leading revolutionary party as Fretilin and the charismatic leader as Xanana. You'll soon get the drift.
Category: Timor-Leste (East Timor)

Português/Portuguese Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

0 Comments:

Post a Comment